Monday, August 15, 2016

Home stretch

Whoosh! There went three more months!

Two weeks ago, we held our second spelling competition of the year. Each trimester, we plan out a list of vocabulary words for our students to learn for the competition. All of my students that were present did very well, although I was surprised at the final result. Teresa, usually the most accurate speller, made two mistakes which put her in third place this time, behind Paola and Beatriz.

Paola and Beatriz both worked very hard on memorizing the words and did very well. All it took was one mistake from Beatriz to put her in second place since Paola finished without a single one.

I mentioned that all my students that were present did great. Well, Eduardo wasn't present. His excuse was sickness, which I'm still skeptical about. Sadly, you can't always believe what students say or even what parents claim about their own children.

When Eduardo was sick the first time, I didn't think much about it. But then it happened again and again. Excuse? Sickness/coughing. However it was mighty convenient that it also just happened to be test week. School isn't the easiest for Eduardo, and instead of doing what's necessary to learn, he would much rather go the easy route of not learning at all!

The week following the spelling competition--the first week of August--was vacation week! Ahhh... a week of mornings with no electronic machinery getting me up with it's much-too-loud *beep* *beep* *beep*. (Can you tell I don't like heeding alarms?) :)

During vacation, there were only a few of us here at CICS. Nata had gone stateside to bring back cars to fix up. Everyone that could (Paty, VerĂ³nica, David) went home to be with family. Which left us three Americanos and Zulma who has been staying with us for a while now, while her grandparents are in the states for a visit.

So what did I do with all that free time? I would like to tell you I used every single moment doing something productive, but I didn't. And you know, I don't seem to regret it that much. :) I did get a lot of things done, though, make no mistake. My to-do list shrank considerably, for one. I gave my school room a good cleaning, fixed a hole in the trampoline, etc. And I made and ate a lot of french fries!

But I was glad by the time it was over. I had been looking forward to vacation, but then I was anxious to see the smiling faces of my students again.

Please pray for me these last couple weeks (about 10). Satan is very good at making me feel like I can't do teach well, or that I should just coast until October when I can go home again. I want to stand up and do the best job I possibly can and make the last weeks of this year count!

One night we all decided to color for a while. It was really relaxing, and it
is one of the few things that can keep Miguel quite and interested for over
five minutes. :)

My students saw my finished page and wanted to do
the same, so we had a coloring class.

Giving and receiving back rubs.

Trampoline is back! Everyone was excited to exercise in a novel way.

Joel practicing that front flip...

And Miguel now wanting to be outdone.

Something interesting is happening on Bethany's laptop.
Not sure what, though.

Who can pick up the most sticks?
(a certain way of course)

Everyone was excited to meet our newest staff member,
Rocky. (It's a dog) :)

Are you daddy?

Cliffton, the self proclaimed protector of Rocky. :)

I know it doesn't look like it, but Miguel is sleeping
in this picture. Just couldn't stay awake in
church anymore. :)

Hit that one dead, Zulma! When Zulma hits an insect with a fly swatter, it's
not dead straight away, even though its insides are spattered all
over the place. It's not dead until the insides inside those insides are
splattered all over the place. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment