Monday, October 6, 2014

What is Samuel doing?

Image Credit: http://thechristianleaderscoach.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/4-goals-of-a-church-planter04021011.jpg
Purposes and goals are what motivate people. Not having at least somewhat of a vision can be disastrous--like a ship at sea with no rudder, if you permit me to use that oft-used metaphor.

I've been thinking about this often in the last while... why am I doing what I'm doing? Why am I a teacher for the deaf in a foreign country with a different culture? Why am I not at home working and earning money like it's just not possible to do in what I do? It's totally possible to do something good for the wrong reasons, which I have been guilty of numerous times.

Of course, in a perfect world, everyone would know exactly what they're good at and what they'll be doing with their life, and why. But this isn't a perfect world, now is it?

These paragraphs are an attempt to both clarify my own vision and to let y'all into a more personal area of my life.

There are many reasons to be a missionary. And by the word "missionary", I mean anyone working to bring people to the Kingdom, whether at home or abroad, just to make that clear. These reasons can be good or bad:

  • to help people
  • to make myself feel like I'm "doing" something with my life
  • to impress others
  • to mingle with other cultures
However, what is the ultimate reason? Why do we do missions? I believe it is because it's what we're commanded to do by our commander-in-chief, Jesus Christ, who commands us in Matthew 28:19: "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations...". Therefore, why should I ultimately be a missionary?
  • Because Jesus commands it!
If I am then under Jesus' command, what should my goal be? To bring glory to God, by showing others how to have a relationship with Christ.

How do I apply this to my life, then?

If I am here at CICS under God's calling, then it follows that my goal will be to bring the people around me (mostly the deaf, but others as well) to Christ. I will be more concerned about that than anything else I can think of.

But what if I have problems? What if I can't get along with people? What if I have difficulty adjusting to the culture? What if I can't give something up?

Then I have to remind myself of my ultimate goal--saving souls. If Jesus could die on the cross for people that hated him and for me, a sinner, surely I can endure some hardship, don't you think!

You're probably wondering by now what brought this up. I know it must sound like I'm having a terrible time. Don't worry, this year is going well and I'm definitely not complaining.

That said, I have some struggles as well. Bunny trail: isn't it funny, you seem to have those wherever you go?! However, as long we live on a fallen earth, nothing is going to be all peachy, bed-of-roses, et cetera, et cetera... Problems are real, and they aren't fun! It just helps sometimes to put those problems back in their place with a little bit of perspective.

So please pray for me as I continue to work here in El Salvador. Pray especially that I could have humbleness and patience.

Humbleness:
  • for when I need to give up my own way.
  • for accepting correction
  • for being willing to do things outside of my comfort zone
Patience:
  • for when I need listen quietly for God's still, small voice
  • for the times when it seems like God isn't doing anything
Thank you so much for all of you who have been praying, sending mail, and supporting me in various other ways! I appreciate each and everyone of you. You are making a difference, whether you can feel it or not! Just take my word for it...

1 comment:

  1. Your family is anxiously awaiting your homecoming! It'll be so good to have you "around" again!

    ReplyDelete