Friday, August 12, 2016

Welcoming new staff

This news isn't quite new anymore, but I wanted to take the opportunity to introduce y'all to not one, but two, new staff members!

But first, a bit of background...

Last month wasn't the easiest for anyone here. Staff issues are never fun, and this one was a bit more painful yet, because of having to say goodbye to one of the current workers. I'm not going to go into details, but due to some things that were taking place among us staff, it was decided that Elmer would no longer be able to work at CICS. He wasn't the only one at fault, but the committee agreed that it would be better if Elmer would take a break from working here.

So that left a substantial void among us that wasn't easy to adjust to. Elmer had been responsible for maintenance and taking care of the boys that stayed here overnight (just Miguel this year). But thankfully, by the next week we already had a replacement! 

Since July, David Glick had been staying here Monday to Wednesday to teach English at a nearby mission school. Naturally, since he stayed here several days, he started picking up sign language and interacting with us in our work with the deaf. All of this made him a good candidate to also help work here at CICS, which he agreed to do. 

David helping Miguel build a parachute from an
old umbrella during a break from work.

David had his work cut out for him, especially with Miguel. Small children, and especially small children like Miguel, do not adapt well to changes. For Miguel, new authority is a new challenge. It's like the substitute-teacher syndrome. How much can I get away with until the new person notices and/or does something about it? I'm sure Miguel doesn't actively think that, but that's what it seems like sometimes.

So it hasn't always been easy. In fact, I would venture to say it has been more hard than easy for David. But he does well and gives it all he has. By now Miguel has calmed down and learned that when papa says do this, then you better obey and do that or there definitely will be undesirable consequences. And as it is with teaching sometimes, I think Miguel is teaching David as much or more than vice versa.

As for me, I'm glad for a companion again. Don't get me wrong, girls are nice and all, but having someone like me to talk to is great! 

Pray for David and his new responsibilities. He needs lots of wisdom and strength to do the right thing even when it isn't always the most desirable.

Pray for all of us staff as we adapt and attempt to finish out the year having done our best!

...

Did I say two new staff? Let see, David and ...

Oh yes, how could I have forgotten?!

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Rocky! And please, don't ask what kind it is. I asked, and all I got was aguacatero. Not completely sure what that means, but I'm guessing it doesn't mean purebred.

Joel spending some quality time with his new friend, Rocky.

No comments:

Post a Comment