Wednesday, January 20, 2016

So much stuff

Well I'm down to just two weeks until I leave on February 4 and I've been accumulating more and more "stuff" on the floor in my room which I'm supposed to be able to fit into two suitcases. That will take a bit of a miracle, I'm thinking!

My growing pile. And I haven't even started packing clothes yet!

I've also been gathering a lot of good advice and encouragement from various teachers and friends as a I prepare for an older class this year. I really appreciate getting pro tips from more experienced people than I.

This past Sunday, Joel and Emily Reed came to visit for lunch. They mentioned “unit teaching” or a method of planning out the school year based on units such as animals, countries, or something to tie all your lessons together based on a common theme for a week or two at a time. Emily recommended I look into the My Father’s World curriculum which was a fabulous idea. For the first time in days it has given me some sort of definite direction for my madness.

I have (mostly) settled on the idea (taken from My Father’s World) of teaching about different countries throughout the year, then using that same theme to teach art, science, Bible, history, language, etc. For example, if we study China for a few weeks, then we’ll study, say, oceans in science class, the persecuted christians in Bible, Chinese art, and read about missionaries to China for language. Of course, this doesn't quite fit into everything, but it ties most things together quite nicely.

And I would really like hearing from all of you if you have any suggestions/comments about any of this. As I said, I enjoy hearing from fellow-teachers, and I know I have some very good teacher friends!

These last couple days have been spent at home. I quit working at the beginning of last week to focus on schoolwork. It's been very nice to spend some leisure time at home (trying) to get all my furry waterfowls in a row amidst all the busyness that still peers at me from around every corner.

This has been my spot on the couch for the
last several days. It's quite comfy!

Katelyn and I have spent some time playing Spot-It (it's her favorite game right now) and hanging out while Mom is gone doing other things. And I've enjoyed talking and messaging with some of the people from El Salvador as well.

As far as prayer requests go, probably my number one prayer request right now for me would be for an increased focus on my Heavenly Father in multiple ways. Instead of worrying or thinking about myself I need to dig into the God's Word and talk to Him. Why is it so hard to keep my priorities straight?!

Please also pray for all of the staff at CICS this year. Pray that we could work together and help each other accomplish our work among the deaf in El Salvador for the honor and glory of God!

We had our first snow fall a few days ago. It was so
exciting to see snow again! Hopefully we'll get
even more this weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment