Friday, April 29, 2016

A hug from God

Don't judge me. I am a guy and I like hugs. :)



Last week was just one of those weeks. It wasn't bad, but neither did it go well...

I still struggle with managing my classroom sometimes and that was one of those weeks. Besides school challenges, it was also a time when I really felt like God was trying to teach me patience and humility through various happenings during the past days. (Oh, by the way, never ask God to teach you things like that if you're not completely serious, because God is just waiting to honor such requests). :)

Anyway, finally it was Friday when I could sit down in the afternoon and get some rest. I had a conversation with a good friend of mine and tell them about some of the things that had happened. I was able to rant for a while and let off some steam. Everyone needs to do this sometimes--it's really therapeutic! In addition, I was also to receive a lot of sound advice and encouragement to keep going at it and do my best.

But of course, the very best way to get alleviate stress is to go to the One who knows everything. No matter how many times I mess up, He is always there ready to forgive and listen to my problems, struggles, pain, etc., etc.

As I prayed, it felt like all that garbage in the form of stress, fear, and other weights began sliding off. It felt wonderful! But that was not the end...

I reached for my Bible, opened it, and started reading Psalms 137 which was where the pages fell...

How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land...

Though the Lord be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly...

The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever...

...thou understandest my thought afar off...

For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether...

Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me...

If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; even there shall thy hand lead me...

...marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well...

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting...

Of course, these verses were all in Spanish, but somehow that just made them seem all the more wonderful. I was overwhelmed! It seemed like God was saying "I know how you feel, but I'm still here. Listen to this... and this... and this...". Out of all those verses, the third one (Psalms 138:8) was the one that stuck out the most and has become one of my favorite verses. I see it pretty much every day now...



And that is how I experienced what I call a "hug from God". The purpose of this post is to glorify God for His goodness. Please don't leave thinking "poor Sam, he has such a hard life being a missionary in another country". Just...no! Instead, thank God for the many times he has answered prayers--both mine and yours! And keep praying for me if you think about it. Your prayers really do make a difference.

And maybe the secondary purpose would be to encourage YOU as well. Are you feeling down in the dumps? Not sure where to turn? Feel like your many responsibilities are crushing you?

God is willing to hear you. Your experience might not be as dramatic as was mine this time, but God will listen if you are sincere. God is always there, my friend...

No comments:

Post a Comment