Saturday, May 2, 2015

Siblings time

I got my first visitors of the year last week, and boy were they great! The eight days that my siblings were here flew by! I'll try my best to describe some our adventures, even though it won't do justice...

On Monday, Elmer, Carlos, Miguel, and I went and brought them from the airport. The four of us hadn't eaten supper yet so we stopped in at Pollo Campero on the way home from the airport. Little Miguel was very bashful at first, even hiding behind me and peeking out just enough to be able to see. However, as is usually the case, he couldn't stay away very long, and it was only a matter of time before him and Gideon were having a high time in the back of the van!

Something funny is happening here--not sure what.

The first two full days they were here didn't afford much time for relaxation, due to dentist, yes DENTIST visits. Since dental work here is about ten times cheaper than the states ($12 per tooth for cavities, for example!) and due to some "incentives", we decided to use up our two first afternoons at the dentist office. It took some time, but we were glad it could get done while they were here.

Poor Aaron...

One of the main things we wanted to get done (besides the dental work, of course) was install a new trampoline! All the kids, especially the smaller ones, could hardly wait till my siblings came for that reason. Miguel, in particular, would remind me almost every day: "April 20 trampoline!". And just to make that sink in a little: Miguel has a hard time remembering anything. The fact that he remembered the day and the month and what would happen that particular day meant it was something truly spectacular and once-in-a-lifetime to him!

Anyway, so Aaron and Gideon worked very hard for a couple days in 90 degree weather, no less, digging a hole in which to set the trampoline, and then installing it. And they always had eager onlookers giving them encouragement and even helping sometimes. :) We still enjoy the trampoline immensely now that we've had it for a several days. It's a great place to spend excess energy (not that I have excess energy, but some others do). Thank you so much to all of you who helped with purchasing it. May God bless you!



Gideon and Aaron hard at work!

Everyone wanted to help at least a little bit!

Joel and Jairo are happy to help Gideon
bolt the frame together.

Apparently shades help you work faster. Just ask Miguel...

And speaking of new things... I received lots and lots of goodies that were sent by various friends. Thanks to all of you for your thoughtfulness. My snack drawer is now refilled to say the least! (Plus another few boxes under my bed) :)

For the weekend, Aaron, Lydia, Gideon, and I went to the guest house for Friday night where went out to eat, played games, and had some very hilarious conversations. I realized just how much I'm missing at home during that weekend. Aaron and Gideon would talk and debate about the weirdest topics while Lydia and I could hardly do more than just laugh and say "oh, wow". Sometimes I wondered if Aaron just puts words together randomly in a sentence and hopes it makes sense. :) Whatever the case, we had a very good time.

Laughing at Aaron's craziness I'm pretty sure...

The culprit.

We traveled on Saturday from the guest house to Costa del Sol, a beach about an hour and a half away, where we again talked, swam, rode the waves, took pictures, etc. But before we knew it, the weekend was already over and we had to go home.



The remaining days before Tuesday morning were spent basically enjoying everything to the maximum--playing with the kids, jumping on the trampoline, mango hunting, sight-seeing, playing games, talking, etc.

Then there was the inevitable--taking them to the airport again. Not my favorite part... But I am thankful for the short time I did have with them. God has given me a great family and I am thankful to have people in my life that I miss a lot.

On the way back from mango picking. We weren't very
successful, but we had fun!

Two of Lydia's new found friends, Teresa and Beatriz. And Antony is
doing not sure what in the background.

Which one is cuter? (sorry Aaron)

Gideon oblivious to the fighting going on behind him.

Ana came to school just so she could meet Lydia. They are only 5 days apart in
age. Ana knew Lydia was her age, but she was never able to meet her until now.

Bro pic.

How does Antony manage to be in all these pictures?



Pupusas--it's what's for dinner. After the dentist visit.

On the way to the tienda to buy some snacks with the
paparazzi in tow.




My poor kids could hardly pay attention in class. I wonder why...

Aaron must have said something. 

Photographer in training. Don't drop that Miguel!

A friendly game of Old Maid with memory cards.

Tailgate ice cream party.

Lydia and Silvia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment